2. Lawrence Yun, the trade group's chief economist, expects the average 30-year fixed-rate mortgage to hit 5.5% at year-end, up from 4.5% late last year and 3.5% in the first half of 2013. That's a sharp runup in a short period of time, one that could harm affordability and spook even more buyers.
3. The clip, taken on a mobile phone, starts with the crowd singing the Frankie Valli lyrics: You're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off of you'.
5. That growth in the value of inbound shipments came despite a strengthening dollar that drove up costs for importers. Import growth valued in local currency terms reflected that relative weakness with a rise of 13 per cent in November.
6. China does not want to see a trade war between the US and China. That would not make our trade fairer and cause loss for the both sides.
1. Airlines with operations based west of the Rockies boast the fewest flights that arrive late during the holidays, according to data compiled for Forbes.com by FlightAware.
3. n. 浪漫的人
1. That put outbound investment for October at $8.3bn, according to FT calculations based on official data, for a year-on-year fall of 26.5 per cent.
2. But not every reporter (including this one) would agree with the final assessment.
3. n. 初次登场，首次露面 v. 初次登场
4. It has to take over most of every waking minute. It's all you want to talk about. Prepare to watch people's eyes glaze over.
5. “These students have absolutely no free speech rights that were violated in this context."
3. Whatever the underlying cause, last year’s extreme warmth in the West meant that Alaska, Arizona, California and Nevada all set temperature records. Some parts of California essentially had no winter last year, with temperatures sometimes running 10 to 15 degrees above normal for the season. The temperature in Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city, never fell below zero in 2014, the first time that has happened in 101 years of record-keeping for the city.
Notably, the domain name for the top fake news story of the year is “abcnews.com.co.” In a November interview with The Verge, Professor Nicole A. Cooke of the University of Illinois’ School of Information Sciences cited the slight modification of familiar domains as a particularly dangerous and common tactic for fake news sites. They make the source look reputable at first glance. The man who operates abcnews.com.co told The Washington Post that he believes his websites were a key factor in the election of Donald Trump.
Following the devaluation in mid-August, the renminbi rallied in September and October. Devaluation resumed in November, however, and the renminbi closed at its weakest level in three months at 6.4082 to the dollar yesterday. “Since October many countries around China have experienced some capital outflow, and China has had its share,” said Xie Yaxuan, an economist at China Merchants Securities in Shenzhen. “The strengthening dollar is bound to cause some repositioning into dollar assets.”